Learn everything there is to know about baby registries, when to create them, what to register for, and more.
What to register for baby
Here's a brief summary of the baby registry items you should include:
- Bath time essentials
- feeding items
- baby bedding
- diapering must haves
- medical essentials
- nursery furniture & gear
- travel essentials
- play time items
- baby proofing gear
- baby bath tub
- baby lotion
- baby nail clippers
- baby shampoo/body wash
- baby comb & brush
- baby toothbrush & baby-safe toothpaste
- baby Q-tips (specially designed to not go in the ear very far for safety).
- bottle brush
- high chair
- burp cloth
- waterproof mattress protector (x2)
- crib sheets (x2)
- muslin swaddle blankets
- flannel receiving blankets
- baby wipes (at least 4 boxes, you can never have too many baby wipes)
- baby powder
- diaper cream
- Diapers (because you don't know how big your baby will be until you give birth, don't buy or register for too many newborn diapers)
- One package of Newborn diapers
- One package of Size 1 Diapers
- At least one package of size 2 Diapers
- baby orajel
- nasal saline drops
- infant tylenol & motrin
- Zarbee's baby cough syrup
- nose frida
Nursery Furniture & Gear
- baby swing
- cool mist humidifier
- glider or rocker (optional)
- baby clothes hangers
- Carseat & base (if you have more than one car, you may want a second base)
- diaper bag
- pack and play (it's a portable travel crib)
- Books (four or more)
- Carseat toys
- teething toys
- activity play mat
Baby Proofing gear
- Baby Gate
- Outlet protectors
- cabinet locks
Printable Baby Registry Checklist
It can be a lot to remember when it comes to the baby registry must haves which is why I created a fancy printable checklist for you!
How does a baby registry work?
For first time parents, this is a common question. You pick a few stores and go through and create a registry which is a list items that new parents want.
When you have a baby shower, or someone wants to gift you something, knowing where you are registered can help them buy with ease.
Also, a lot of stores give new parents freebies for creating baby registries with them.
Where to register for baby?
Here are the most popular places to create a baby registry:
When should you make a baby registry?
You can create a baby registry whenever you want to. If you haven't announced your pregnancy to your family, you might want to make your registry private.
Baby registry tips
Here are a few more helpful tips for creating your baby registry:
- Choose items varying in prices- everyone has different budgets.
- Register in a couple different stores- this makes it easy for anyone to shop for you.
- Remember most stores offer a coupon for the remainder of your items on your registry, so if you receive gift cards take advantage of this!
Should I register for baby clothes?
The only thing that you don't necessarily need to put on your registry is baby clothes.
You can register for clothes, but chances are people are going to buy what they think is cute for you, and in all honesty all baby clothes are cute!