Are you planning on having a c-section or have been told by your OB that there's a good chance you will need one? Here's the ultimate checklist for what to pack in your hospital bag.
Hospital bag for mom
When you have a c-section, plan to be at the hospital longer. Here's what I packed in mine for my planned c-section:
- 3 Nursing tops
- 2 pajama pants
- 1 dress for pictures and going home
- socks-because the hospital socks just don't cut it.
- Toothbrush and tooth paste
- Hair brush, shampoo, conditioner
- mascara (for pictures)
- a stool- depending on what you drive, if you are leaving the hospital and need to step up into your car, bring a stool. Those couple extra inches don't seem like much before, but after a c-section, it's agony!
- a pillow-for the ride home, having a pillow pressed against your stomach will make the drive a lot more manageable.
- phone charger
- Your birth plan (if you have one). Learn more about how to create a birth plan here.
Hospital bag for dad
Just like with mom, dad needs to pack a few extra clothes for the stay because recovery time for a c-section is longer.
- 3 shirts & 3 pants/shorts
- gym shorts for sleeping in
- contact solution
- hair brush & shampoo
- toothbrush & toothpaste
- phone charger
Does baby need a bag too?
Yes! Pack a cute outfit and swaddle blanket for photos. You can also pack just a few diapers and wipes but for the most part your hospital will have what baby needs while you are there.
What to bring home from the hospital
- belly binder-wearing this makes everyday life a lot less painful (from sneezing to coughing to walking).
- perineal spray bottle-this helps you clean down there after going to the bathroom.
- As many mesh underwear as they let you have.
- Thick pads or stock up on some extra heavy maxi pads.