Gentle c sections are a new way moms are taking back their birth plan when a c section has to happen.
What is a gentle cesarean birth?
The idea of a gentle cesarean is that it is still focused on mom getting to hold baby right away, and some moms opt for a clear drape so they can watch.
Gentle c-section vs c-section
- With a standard c-section, you aren't able to hold baby right away because they have one arm getting an iv, and one arm getting blood pressure checks regularly.
- Use a surgical curtain, so you won't be able to watch.
- Cord is cut right away
- Nurse weighs baby, does their assessment then hands baby to dad, spouse, or partner.
- Monitors are placed in a such a way that lets your arms be more free.
- Use a clear drape so mom and dad can watch.
- Delayed cord clamping is sometimes possible.
- Mom gets to hold baby right away and even try to start breastfeeding.
Is this always available?
While the idea of a gentle c section sounds appealing, it's not always available. Safety of mom and baby come first.
If you are having a planned c section after a previous emergency c-section, talk with your OBGYN and see what they are comfortable with for you.
Is family centered cesareans for everyone?
Again, these are not for everyone.
Especially opting for a clear drape to watch. Make sure you discuss this with your partner well in advance because the last thing your OR team wants is a fainting spouse.