Have you constantly struggled with the need to be liked by everyone? I think a lot of people are more guilty of this than we like to admit.
Maybe it's that darn golden rule?
You know the one, where you were taught "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Or maybe the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".
As kids these were sayings our parents would tell us when we weren't getting along or playing nice.
Over time though, I think it has seriously changed the way we act around people.
5+ reasons it's okay to not be liked by everyone
- You will have more energy and patience. When you are constantly trying to have everyone like you, it can wear you down both physically and mentally.
- Your identity matters too. Have you ever felt every time you agree with someone that you don't want to, you start to lose your sense of self? I know I do!
- Variety is the spice of life. Being different or having a different opinion is nothing to be scared about. In fact, those differences are what makes the world a lot more exciting place!
- Goodbye toxic relationships. Another good reason to be okay with not everyone liking you is that you can get rid of all those toxic relationships. While you might lose some friendships, you might also gain some better ones with people who will cherish the real you!
- You will feel a lot happier. When you stop trying to make others happy, you can focus on what makes you happy.
- Less anxiety. Another great perk is that your anxiety might seem a lot more manageable.
Are you a constant people pleaser? Is it hard for you to be honest with others because you are always worried about upsetting others?
Do yourself a huge favor, and start being more honest with people. It might come as a shock to some or even catch others off guard, but in time they will realize you matter too!
Join the Discussion