A baby smile can light up any room, but when do babies start to smile? The answer will surprise you!
When do babies first smile?
According to HealthyChildren.org, a baby's first social smile happens around 2 months. It's the milestone every parent loves!
Make sure have your camera at the ready.
What is a smile reflex?
Some newborns have a smile reflex where they will smile while they are sleeping. It's not a smile on purpose, but just wait! As baby gets older, around 2 months, he/she will start socially smiling at you and others.
Cue the baby fever!
How to encourage baby to smile
- smile at them
- play with them
- sing songs, rhymes, or fun baby books
- find a word they think is funny, and those baby smiles and laughter will overflow, my daughter liked when I said the word "yum". She would giggle and smile over and over.
- As baby gets older, peek-a-boo is another fun game!
Myths about baby's smile
- Baby smiles because they are gassy...this is untrue. Some newborns have a smile reflex, but it's not gas that's causing it. If baby is 2 months old or older, those smiles are baby's way of socializing with you!
- Another myth or wives tales is that baby's smile in their sleep because they see angels. While very cute to think of, this is also untrue.
Join the Discussion